Be sure to let the meat rest before slicing into pieces; allowing it to sit helps to retain the juices and flavor.
Yield: Serves 2
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pound boneless sirloin steak
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 onion, cut in half and sliced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Place 12-inch cast-iron skillet under broiler for 2 minutes.
- Brush olive oil onto steak. Season both sides of steak generously with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Add the steak to the heated pan and broil for 8 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer steak to a plate to rest. Heat steak pan on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Add onions and butter. Stir and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Pour in vinegar and stir to scrape up browned bits on bottom of the pan. Let vinegar simmer until reduced, just about 1 minute.
- Pour any steak juices from the resting steak into the pan. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and slice into 1/4-inch slices. Lay the steak slices on a platter and pour the sauce over top and serve.
Our friend Sarah Carey, editor-in-chief of Everyday Food Magazine just launched her delicious “How-To” series on YouTube. A 13-year veteran of the Martha Stewart test kitchen, Sarah is an expert in converting culinary classics into easy and convenient meals for the family.
Tune in to Sarah’s Everyday Food YouTube Channel Monday through Friday as Sarah introduces viewers to fresh meal ideas like Simple Potato Gnocchi, Crispy Beef Tacos, Fudgy Pecan Brownies and Glazed Citrus Doodles.