I am sick. Sniffling, sneezing, puffy-faced sick (as the parent of a preschooler, this is not unusual). So in the spirit of keeping cozy when you’re sick, I present you with… A BLOG ABOUT HEMP MILK! (Stick around for the chocolatey recipe at the end!)
Wait, what? You haven’t tried hemp milk?! NO SILLY, it doesn’t contain THC! It is, however, my family’s favorite nondairy milk. It doesn’t have a beany aftertaste of soy milk. Hemp milk is not watery like rice milk and I’m not allergic to it like almond milk. Hemp milk just amazingly delicious!
Hemp milk does not contain any of the top 8 allergens, so it’s safe for most everyone… and its CHOCK FULL of omega 3 and omega 6 (more than in soy or other milks). Without soy’s oligosaccharides that make you and your wee ones gassy, you can fearlessly incorporate this into all your recipes and it tastes GREAT on cereal.
The brand we love is Tempt, by Living Harvest. In addition to producing 5 varieties of milks, they also make ice cream-like frozen desserts which, for a dairy-free lady like me, are gifts from above! Thick, rich, creamy… the PERFECT treat.
Check them out at their website, for the full line of products: LivingHarvest.com
Head to your local Whole Foods-ish store and pick some up (in shelf-stable containers)! I’ve even seen it sold at our Safeway. While you’re there, pick up some Abuelita chocolate. Really, just do it. TRUST ME.
Ok, once you’re home, with hemp milk and Abuelita in hand LET’S MAKE SOMETHING YUMMY! I present you with…
JESSICA T.’S SUPERAWESOMEDELICIOUS HOT COCOA RECIPE!
You will need a few things:
- Abuelita chocolate – this scrumptious solid chocolate is not only delicious, but is also vegan.
- 3 cups hemp milk
- tsp vanilla extract
- The world’s teeniest dash of cayenne pepper
1. Get out a saucepan; bring the milk to a boil.
2. Reduce it to a simmer and add in one tablet of Abuelita
3. Stir it CONSTANTLY with a wire whisk so it doesn’t scald. This is super important.
4. Add in the World’s Teensiest Dash of Cayenne Pepper
5. Remove from heat and serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon!
Optional: Add whipped cream or equivalent whipped topping. I don’t use it, but you can feel free!
ENJOY! I feel better already!