This recipe is a delicious alternative to Shepherd’s Pie. I love how you get a blend of American and Mexican cuisine together to make a meal full of flavor! The salsa really makes this so juicy and delicious. If your family is anything like mine, they will return for seconds or request it to be on the menu more often.
I do not recall where I initially found this recipe, but it has been printed in my recipe book for over 2 years now. I believe it was on AllRecipes.com, but when I did a Google search just now, it seems as though the original recipe was created by Mel at Mel’s Kitchen Caf . I can’t take credit for this amazing and easy dinner!
The recipe is as follows:
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups salsa (jarred or homemade)
- 1 can (15 ounce) black, pinto or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch pan and set aside.
- In a large 12-inch skillet, brown the ground beef and onion, adding the salt and pepper, over medium-high heat until the beef is no longer pink. Drain the grease from the pan. Stir in the corn, salsa, and beans. Pour the beef mixture into the prepared 9X13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- For the cornbread, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and add the oil, beaten eggs and milk. Whisk together until just moistened and no dry spots remain.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the beef mixture and pour the cornbread batter over the cheese and beef mixture. Gently spread the cornbread to the edges of the pan, evening it out over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the edges are bubbly and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.
click here to find out more.