New twist on an appetizer favorite!! If you love jalape o poppers and grilled cheese, you will definitely love this sandwich. The crispy panko, roasted jalape o’s sharp cheddar cheese will leave the distinctive taste of jalape o poppers with an extra grilled cheese bonus. When you think of jalape o poppers, you probably think about the appetizers you eat before the great meal. It is just a snack before the main course but you won’t think about them that way ever again after having this sandwich.
See video recipe here:
- 8-10 jalape os, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- 4 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 8 slices of bread (I used french bread and 45 calorie bread)
Butter spread Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup mayo mayonnaise
- Using a handheld mixer, combined butter and mayonnaise beat with paddle attachment until well mixed.
- Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to incorporate all butter as it may stick to the bowl.
- Turn broiler on high.
- Place a wire baking rack on a foil-lined baking sheet
- Cut jalape o lengthwise and deseed. (Caution use gloves when touching peppers) DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE OR RUB EYES!
- Place jalapenos on wire rack; broil for about 10 minutes or until they start to char. Cool completely. (mine took 18 minutes depending on size)
- Roughly chopped jalape os
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, and green onions. Add salt & cracked black peppercorns taste, mix. Set aside. (best next day)
- Generously butter each slice of bread on one side then sprinkle Panko on top of buttered side, on each slice. (As shown in video)
- On one slice of bread spread two Tablespoons of cream cheese mixture.
- Then add 2 Tablespoons chopped charred Jalape os
- 1 slice sharp cheddar cheeses ( I used Tillamock cheese)
- Add the second slice of bread, buttered Panko side up
- Heat up a cast iron pan or skillet with butter
- Add grilled cheese to pan, cook until cheese is melted slice and serve
Qivana business owner, entrepreneur, wife, and pet parent of two amazing little doxies. My obsession is health and fitness. And when I not trying to stay fit, I’m looking for new eateries. Yes! Eateries! Cooking and baking is a huge passion of mine. Sweets are my weakness, especially anything chocolate!!