Coated with a simple basil mayo, the chicken in this open-face sandwich would also be good chopped and tossed into a salad or served alongside rice and fresh vegetables.
Leaves from 1 large bunch basil
1/2 cup mayonnaise $
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar $
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 boned, skinned chicken breast halves, halved $
4 wide slices ciabatta bread
1 heirloom tomato, cut into 4 slices
1. Heat grill to high (450 to 550 ). Reserve 4 basil leaves. Whirl mayonnaise, remaining basil, garlic, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
2. Sandwich chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet until 1/4 in. thick.
3. Grill chicken, basting each side with some of mayo mixture and turning as needed, until cooked through and well browned, about 8 minutes.
4. Brush one side of bread with a little mayo mixture; grill bread on both sides.
5. Lay chicken on mayo side of bread. Top each sandwich with a tomato slice and a basil leaf and serve the remaining mayo on the side.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich without extra mayo.
Modern Day Moms is an award-winning publication centered around motherhood that is real and unfiltered. Basically, we don’t sugarcoat anything and aren’t afraid to tell you the truth. Let’s be best friends, we will make you feel more normal.