Coated with a simple basil mayo, the chicken in this open-face sandwich would also be good chopped and tossed into a salad or served alongside rice and fresh vegetables.
Leaves from 1 large bunch basil
1/2 cup mayonnaise $
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar $
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 boned, skinned chicken breast halves, halved $
4 wide slices ciabatta bread
1 heirloom tomato, cut into 4 slices
1. Heat grill to high (450 to 550 ). Reserve 4 basil leaves. Whirl mayonnaise, remaining basil, garlic, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
2. Sandwich chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet until 1/4 in. thick.
3. Grill chicken, basting each side with some of mayo mixture and turning as needed, until cooked through and well browned, about 8 minutes.
4. Brush one side of bread with a little mayo mixture; grill bread on both sides.
5. Lay chicken on mayo side of bread. Top each sandwich with a tomato slice and a basil leaf and serve the remaining mayo on the side.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich without extra mayo.